Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ePortfolio Search and Evaluations

The first ePortfolio that I came across was a teachers (I used the google search marine biology ePortfolio).  He seems to be using his portfolio as a teaching and organizational aid for his class.  He has assignments posted on the portfolio and his students respond to his questions in their own replies.  I personally think that it is a really well set up educational plan!  It allows all of the students to see their peers responses, and it allows for very clear organization in regards to exactly what you are supposed to be doing.  I've found that some of the online classes through Etudes can be confusing simply because the requirements are split up and posted in so many different places that it is easy to lose track of them.  The simple, chronological order of his posts and the required responses would make the class easy to follow and you definitely wouldn't have any excuse about not knowing what you were supposed to do!
The second ePortfolio I found was a resume/business ePortfolio from a Marine Biologist.  Unfortunately she hadn't yet completed all of the required information, etc.  But it was a good example as to how an ePortfolio could be used in relation to your job, finding a job, putting out a resume, etc.  Also, I noticed that having all this information available along with your resume, in your own personal fashion, makes you seem more like a person instead of just another sheet of paper listing off another blurb of accomplishments.  It definitely seemed like it could make the interview/hiring process a bit more personal, something that would be beneficial to employees and bosses alike.
Next I chose to put in "dolphin research ePortfolio" simply because my focus in Marine Biology is marine mammals and their interactions with each other, us, and the environment.  The first blog that came up was a researchers blog that was actually all filled out unlike the one that I mentioned above.  It was very well organized and presented with numerous research papers listed.  Each one had a small blurb about what the paper was about and why she wrote it and then contained a hypertext link to view the whole document.  This definitely served to give me a better idea as to how my own ePortfolio should be set up.  
I then put "sailing ePortfolio" into the search engine and found a students ePortfolio from the University in Anchorage, Alaska.  This portfolio wasn't set up all that well.  Her About Me was simply a huge, massive paragraph with tons of information thrown at you.   I thought it could have been a bit better organized.  Also, I'm noticing that a lot of these ePortfolios have a blog link, but very few people are actually writing in them.  It seems that if they are using them to send out a resume, using their blog might be helpful into making them seem like more of a human being to the person reviewing their works.  Just a thought...
Lastly, I put in "fashion ePortfolio" and found a students version of an ePortfolio that she is creating during her time at school to list her accomplishments as they come, and to keep track of her personal and professional record.  This one seemed to be the most similar to what Dr. Barrett's FAQs referred to many portfolios as.  Although, this student still didn't use a blog and/or have one attached.  I guess I just linked ePortfolios with blogs more in my head then I should have been? Overall though, I found all of these ePortfolios helpful in giving me an idea of how to start my own. 

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Here again I really appreciate your thoughtful and open-minded approach to my crazy xPloring ePortfolios assignments. You're discovering some really valuable things, and it's clear that your giving the whole process some serious consideration (just as a top Honors student should)!