Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Week 3, Task 1:

I thought about the answer to this question a bit when reading and writing about the FAQ's that we had to read last week.  The two ideas for ePortfolio use that interested me the most were that of an evaluation tool for high school graduation and as an asset within the application and review process for a job.  Since I've obviously graduated from high school =) I can't really relate that to my future life.  However, using an ePortfolio for job interviews and posting resumes is an idea that I find really interesting and potentially extremely useful.  For companies searching for potential employees online, being able to look at ePortfolios including resumes could make the process far more personalized and give them a better idea of the person whom they are considering hiring.  Now, for me personally, this may or may not apply later in life.  My major is Marine Biology and this is something that I want to go to Grad school for and then continue with research in the field.  However, if I move on from research later on in life this is definitely an area where I could use an ePortfolio.  My research itself, however, could be benefitted by the use of an ePortfolio.  I could use the portfolio to document and track my research along with papers that I write on my research.  The portfolio could then be accessed by other scientists within my field so that they could either use it or continue on with it in their own research.  
As far as for my own personal pleasure, an ePortfolio seems like it would be an interesting creation to make throughout a daughter/son's childhood so that they could look back on your thoughts or their achievements that you collected and documented for them.  Also, for any particular goal that I set for myself at some point in time, a portfolio could be used to document my progress and eventual achievement (hopefully) or said goal.  

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. It's interesting that a lot of you seem to think an ePortfolio a fine tool for someone graduating from high school, but don't mention it as something for college graduates to show their skills. Not quite sure why...As for marine biology, I think you would find documenting your research, in particular, to be especially valuable!