Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Journey Week 5

Thinking about parts of my life that could qualify as a "journey" brings up a lot of different ideas.  My schooling, research that I have done, moving to and from DC, family journeys, etc.  However, I decided to choose one that I feel I have grown tremendously from in the past 9 months, and that is the journey of living on my own for the first time.  Although this may not seem like a huge deal, it has been a HUGE thing for me to overcome and get used too.  Both my mother, my boyfriend, and three of my best friends moved at the beginning of this school year.  I was left alone, in my house with my four dogs for company.  Now, apart from the simple difficulty of having my mother 3000 miles away from me in DC and my boyfriend 400 miles away in San Diego, living alone is an experience all in itself.  So I feel that this relates well to a journey in which I have had to overcome many obstacles, or "ogres" if you prefer.  Initially, the devastation of having the two people who I loved most move away from me was huge.  You get used to always having somewhere there or at least a phone call and five minute drive away.  All of a sudden, my mother was no where near me and the three hour time difference made sad late night phone calls an impossibility.  Then on top of this, as anyone who has been in a long-distance relationship knows, having your boyfriend/girlfriend move far away to college with his two best friends as their room mates is hardly the most comforting situation in the world.  I had to overcome feelings of worry and possible jealousy, knowing that he was going out to bars without me and meeting new people at school.  But most of all, I had to overcome the huge obstacle of feeling completely alone.  Coming home to an empty house, going to sleep in an empty house, waking up in one...It's hard, especially if you've never done it before.  But I overcame obstacles like this by throwing myself into school, into working out, into playing with my dogs and enjoying the time with them.  I started hiking everyday with my puppy Benjamin and making weekend beach trips to go run with him a requirement.  I found that staying active, especially with the company of my dog, made me happier.  Those endorphins do work!!  I also found a new friend, my boyfriend's friend's wife, Valerie.  She is now probably my best friend, second only to my boyfriend.  She and I forged a fast friendship during these past 9 months as she helped me through everything.  We became workout buddies, shopping buddies, beach buddies, completely inseparable.  She, along with my puppy, helped pull me through the darkest times, and as a result, I came out with a new found confidence in myself.  The confidence in my ability to be alone, to live by myself.  Along with an actual appreciation of having time to myself, time to throw a leash on my dog and hike for two hours and not worry about anything else.  As a reward, I have an amazing relationship with my boyfriend, our relationship has only strengthened.  I have complete trust in him, as he does in me, and we're even closer as friends as we've helped each other deal with the drastic changes in our lives.  My mother and I improved our relationship too.  I've definitely discovered that having one of us "leave the nest" creates a far more balanced relationship as mother and daughter (ie: a lot less arguing).  So all in all, these obstacles or ogres have simply become learning experiences.  Things that have only made me stronger for all the pain and trouble that they caused.  Although it may not have been an easy journey, it was an important one, and one that isn't over yet.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

When a person lives alone for the first time it can be a troublesome but also beneficial experience to go through. And Amanda going through the obstacles you faced living alone such as the loneliness or jealously you felt by your boyfriend and mother living so far away has made you a stronger person. I believe you have grown from this experience and gained a huge understanding of what it means to be independent. Although most people, like you, have friends and family they can always turn to, if you can’t do things on your own most of the time then you will never be able to survive in such a demanding world. And so Amanda you are officially becoming a survivor and you are such a well rounded individual. In fact, this is why I feel so comfortable talking to you about the troubles in my life that I am facing because I can learn from you. I have only known you for a few months now, but already I am able to open up and come to you for advice about men, peer pressure, family issues, etc, and leave with a sense of understanding on how to deal with these issues. The advice you have given me has helped a lot recently. You are my therapist, lol, or actually just a wonderful friend to talk to and help me get by in such hard times in my life. So thanks. Amanda, keep going through your journey and soon you will make it to the other side.

Scott Lankford said...

25 points for the post and 12 points for the comment from Natasha -- as you know there were originally supposed to be two of these...Enjoyed reading of your solo journey. They say to be with anyone else completely you first have to learn to be with yourself alone. And yes, that is indeed a deep kind of learning.