Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Week 6 - Task 3

So I have to start out with saying that considering "real work" as what will end up in your obituary almost completely rules out all undergraduate college work and lower division classes.  So, that mind set may not be the best!  

The main focus of this work seemed to be focusing on things that you enjoy rather than making To Do lists that you simply must get done.  The problem with this for me personally is that I'm a college student.  95% of the things that I need to get are most definitely NOT things that I want to do or even have any interest in doing.  However, he did make a point about the fact that we often make ourselves to busy to do work by filling the day with errands rather than getting a big "To Do" project done.  This is definitely something that I can relate to, I do always seem to have a million things to do, but I definitely pick and choose when I decide to stress about them.  For example, if I have a paper due in two days, I'll manage to spend every moment of those two days running errands, cleaning the house, and getting things done to keep myself from having any time to write the actual paper.  Having all these other things to do makes putting off the paper far easier.  The Type A, B, and C procrastinators were interesting as well.  I'm sort of a combination of all three depending on how I'm feeling or the mood that I'm in.  If I am just plain exhausted I'll tend to be Type A and just completely ignore what I have to get done and take a nap instead.  My "errand" tendencies could fall into Type B, which normally occurs when I have plenty of energy but absolutely no attention span for homework at the time.  And Type C normally occurs when I have stuff to do that I am actually interested in, so I work on that instead of the more pressing assignments that I don't find interesting.  So all in all I felt that this paper was certainly informative, but it had less ideas as to how to overcome the procrastination problem in comparison to the others.  Granted, the author mentions this himself, but then he also goes on to say that he has learned lots of "tricks" over the years to help with procrastination.  So I guess I would have preferred that he include some of those.  

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

13 points. Well, actually your college degree probably will be in your obituary!