Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Week 6 "Structured Procrastination"

I loved this article, I thought it was absolutely hilarious and a completely intriguing fact.  Also, this is an idea that would totally work for some people I know.  My only personal problem with this idea is that I actually do something of the sort, but I always manage to avoid the school things on the list.  For example: If I need to go to the DMV and renew my license, get dog food, go for a run, write a paper for a class, and read a book for the class, I will do absolutely everything but write the paper.  Even if it is the only thing that is due the next day.  As a result, I get a lot of important things done, but then I'm still up to 3am writing the paper (which I'm actually doing right now).  This article does propose some unique ideas though.  It definitely is possible to trick yourself into completing more tasks than you planned on.  My issue with procrastination is usually just getting myself to start whatever it is that I have to get done.  Once I get started on it I'll will complete it all in one sitting, but actually making myself sit done and get it done is the hardest thing for me to do.  Plus, I'm horrible at breaking big tasks up into little parts.  I absolutely HATE doing that, I would always prefer to sit down and pound out whatever it is in 5 hours then break it up in to seperate 1 hour components.  I definitely enjoyed this article though, and maybe I'll try it out for myself!! I'm really excited though to read the next few articles about procrastination to see if there is an idea better suited to my own, unique form of procrastination.  =)

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. It is a good job of writing something funny that is still insightful!