Thursday, June 26, 2008

Extra Credit Task #3

So I actually have to agree with Sir John on this one because I don't believe that the technological aspect of education has completely changed the field of learning. I do however, agree with Kozma when he says that it has the ability too. I believe we have seen numerous examples of how it can change education in our class this year. But to bring the argument down to it's base question: the answer in my opinion is no. However, technology is beginning to open doorways in the educational world that weren't there before.

I do strongly agree with the idea that it is the teacher that must be educated as to what technology can do for the classroom. Until my English classes with you, Dr. Lankford, I never had any technological aspects to any of classes other than Etudes. But our ePortfolios and readings on alternate "educational worlds" have expanded my horizons. I would not have learned of these if I hadn't taken classes with a professor that was interested in them though, and that I believe is an important point for people like Kozma to take note of.

What I think both parties need to agree on though is the need to educate more people, students and teachers, about the benefits that the technological world can give. I know that I for one was dreading making an ePortfolio purely because of the tech aspect to it. I would happily create a 20 page paper portfolio without breaking a sweat, but do it online?! *GASP* However I was pleasantly surprised to find that the entire process was relatively pain free. The most difficult thing was embedding videos into googlepages.com but I solved that problem but embedding the videos into blogger.com (Thank you IAN!) and making a link! So all in all, the task was fun for me and less difficult then I expected. My initial apprehensions though are shared by many students and teachers and it is these issues that must be addressed.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. I'm glad you find the tech focus intriguing -- eventually. Highly recommend the "Science 2.0" article in the May edition of "Scientific American."