Thursday, June 26, 2008

Extra Credit Task #4

I've actually found that English and/or Chemistry tie into all of my classes in some way, shape, or form. This has proven true of all of my classes at Foothill, from Art to Anthro to Organic Chemistry.
English, as we all know, relates to almost all subjects because the ability to write and analyze work is important across the board. English has played a role in my Biology and science courses when I have to write clear, concise research papers. It has also played a surprising role in my International Relations/Poli Sci class that I took this past quarter. Dr. Heiser assigns an INSANE amount of writing in her class (bless her heart), most of which focuses on taking 12 page papers and condensing them down into a one page maximum summary. I thought this would be easy, think again. As someone who enjoys writing for English purposes, having to edit down every last word is quite a learning experience. However, by the end of the quarter I was a pro, and my Poli Sci class improved my writing abilities while at the same time, my writing enabled me to earn that A!
Chemistry studies the basic chemical reactions that occur in the world and in our bodies so that we are able to live and exist. Because of this, I've found that Chemistry not only relates to numerous different subjects, but it is often a foundation for them as well. Chemistry is the basis of biology because the systems that we study are all made up of chemical reactions and combinations. Geology and oceanography all stem from chemical reactions as well. Chemistry even relates to Physics because it makes up the structure of anything a physicist studies.
Perhaps the most difficult class to relate to is math, which I'm sure most of us would agree with. But being the nerd that I am, I find that the most interesting relationship that Math has is with Biology, or more specifically, nature. Mathematical formulas and numbers are mirrored in nature everywhere. The mathematical aspect of nature is part of what makes it so incredibly complex.
The main lesson that I have learned through all of my classes and their relationships to one another is that each class does serve a purpose. We often complain that we will "never use this in the real world" but we do use it in college, and past college as well. Just because my major isn't going to focus on Poli Sci doesn't mean that I won't use the summarization skills that I learned in class in reviewing research papers for Marine Biology. All classes and lessons relate to one another, it's just up to us to figure out how to use them for our benefit.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. This one is really thoughtful and could have been the basis for a whole new ePortfolio all on its own!