Thursday, June 26, 2008

Extra Credit Task #5

So I actually didn't know that much about the copyright issues excluding what I know to create a Works Cited for a paper. These were very enlightening readings and although I don't personally use YouTube (although I did for my ePortfolio!!) I can see how enforcing more limitations would restrict the ease of information on the internet. Google's argument and that of the editors is one that I agree with, I believe that the use of information should be free. I understand when it comes to things like CDs and DVDs because the profits of those are based off of sales, but for something like an image of DNA that a teacher wants to place on an overhead...that should be an option!! As should the ability to use videos found on YouTube to demonstrate points in class. In English 48A we looked at numerous YouTube links showing old plays of the works that we were reading. They helped in the learning process greatly and to think that something like that could be made illegal seems a shame. Anything that furthers the learning process should be acceptable as long as certain precautions are taken. I don't believe that YouTube should have to follow even more regulations, they already take down enough videos when Copyright owners complain. The ability to actually USE the information that we find on the internet is important and one that we should fight for. I read a few more sites after googling "YouTube copyright" and found that most of the issues do seem to be with broadcasting networks anger at their shows being posted online. This is ridiculous, you can almost never find complete clips of a show. Viewers still watch the show on TV, most of the time the YouTube clips are only used to post funny videos on Myspace or Facebook. It doesn't seem as though they are losing any money because of YouTube which is (I'm assuming) their main concern?

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Well keep following this debate, Amanda, because it will be your generation which will define the end result!